Staying Ahead of the Game: The Latest Electrical Contracting Industry Trends and Technologies
Nicky Sykora • February 28, 2023 • 4 min read
In today’s rapidly evolving business landscape, it’s more important than ever for electrical contracting companies to stay ahead of the curve. One way to do this is by familiarizing yourself with the latest industry trends and technologies. By being proactive and embracing these advancements, you can help to future-proof your business and ensure its continued success in the years to come.
Future-proof your electrical contracting business with the following industry trends and technologies. Some key trends and technologies to keep an eye on include the increasing use of automation, the growing popularity of renewable energy sources, and the increasing demand for energy-efficient building designs. By staying informed about these trends and implementing them in your business, you can set yourself apart from the competition and position your company for long-term growth and profitability.
6 Emerging Trends to Know:
- Smart building technology: Advancements in Internet of Things (IoT) technology, building automation systems, and other smart building technologies are allowing electrical contractors to increase the efficiency and functionality of their electrical systems. This includes smart lighting and energy management systems and building automation systems that integrate various building systems, such as HVAC, security, and fire protection. Construction technology, such as advanced power management systems and energy-efficient lighting, can help to improve the quality and performance of electrical systems. This can lead to greater reliability, longer lifetimes, and reduced maintenance costs, which benefits both the contractor and the client.
- Sustainable Energy: Due to the increasing focus on environmental sustainability, many electrical contractors are looking for ways to reduce their environmental impact. This can include working with renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power and implementing energy-efficient technologies such as LED lighting and advanced power management systems.
- Microgrids: Microgrids are small-scale, independent power systems that can generate, distribute, and manage their own power. They can operate in parallel with the traditional grid or be disconnected from the primary grid and function independently during a power outage. Microgrids are becoming increasingly popular to improve energy security, reduce costs, and support the integration of renewable energy sources.
- Cybersecurity: Electrical contractors are also increasingly concerned about cybersecurity in the wake of increasing cyber-attacks. Cybersecurity measures include implementing security protocols, conducting regular security audits and vulnerability assessments, and training employees to identify and respond to potential threats. More and more building functions are being connected to the internet, which causes more protection.
- Automation and Robotics: Automation and robotics are increasingly being used in the construction industry to improve productivity, safety, and efficiency. These technologies can automate repetitive tasks, such as digging and grading and improve site layout, tracking, and material delivery processes. Many construction technologies, such as drones and robotic equipment, are designed to improve safety on construction sites. They can be used to perform dangerous tasks remotely, such as working at heights or in hazardous environments, which can reduce the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Time & Resource Management Software: The use of new technology allows electrical contractors to stay competitive in the industry. Being proficient in using the latest tools and software is a way to increase efficiency and reduce errors, which can improve the contractor’s reputation and make them more appealing to clients. Furthermore, being aware and up to date with the new technologies and innovations in the field allows the contractor to provide better services and be ahead of the competition.
Adapt or Fall Behind
It is important to note that these trends and technologies are continually evolving, and new innovations are continuously being developed. So you should always research, stay informed, and adapt to these new technologies to maintain industry competitiveness.
In conclusion, the electrical contracting industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies and trends always emerging. As an electrical contractor, staying informed and adapting to these changes is important to remain competitive and continue providing high-quality client services. Some key focus areas include smart building integration, renewable energy, microgrids, cybersecurity, automation, and robotics. By understanding and utilizing these technologies and trends, electrical contractors can improve efficiency, productivity, safety, and performance, ultimately leading to greater profitability and success in the industry. The key for the electrical contracting industry is to keep a forward-looking approach, stay informed, and continuously adapt to new technologies and trends to future-proof their business, positioning themselves for long-term success.
Level Up Your Construction Technology
Want to take your electrical contracting business to the next level? Try Rhumbix, the leading construction time & resource management software that can help you streamline your operations, improve safety and efficiency, and stand out from the competition